Thursday, February 26, 2009

Shocking

As I've mentioned before, I have been doing Weight Watchers since mid-January and am doing pretty well so far - I've lost about 17 lbs. and counting. One of the great things about Weight Watchers is that nothing is specifically "off limits" - you just have a budget of points to work within and over time, it becomes clear which things are worth using up points for and which things are not.

Today, I was thinking about taking the kids out to lunch at Red Robin so I looked up the nutritional info. Even as a pretty educated person when it comes to nutrition, I have to admit I was shocked at what I found! Get this: my regular favorite at Red Robin (which I have not eaten since December) is the Banzai Burger, of course with fries on the side. According to www.redrobin.com, this meal serves up a whopping 1,444 calories and 80 grams of fat! This makes my jaw drop! I simply cannot believe it. Oh, and don't forget the hidden killer, sodium, which comes in at 2696 mg (more than you should consume in an entire day -- without even picking up the salt shaker on those fries!). I think I will never be able to eat out again. Unbelievable.

Note: I did take the kids out to lunch, we went to Applebees, where they have a few Weight Watchers approved meal that have the points calculated already. I had a delicious steak and portobello meal that only cost me 7 points, about average for lunch.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

WTG on the weight loss! You're doing great!

Dani said...

Nice job on the weight loss!! Lets see some photos! That calorie count from RR is insane. Granted I get them to sub a veggie burger, but still I'm sure that only takes off a few of the TONS of calories..YIKES

tiburon said...

Isn't it amazing what some of the calories are?! You are doing so awesome! Keep it up!