Friday, June 6, 2008

$89.11


I filled up my gas hog yesterday. Has anyone else been snagged by the $75 limit at the pump? I find this situation extremely annoying. It took $89.11 to fill up my car yesterday. So when it shut off at $75, I tried swiping my card again but the pump wouldn't take it. So I went inside. The first guy had no idea how to help me, he seemed to think the second swipe should have worked. Then we went around and around as he asked me "well how much more do you need?" Me: "Gee, I don't really know exactly how much more I need... can't I just fill it and then pay you for it?" Him: "well how much do you want to put in?" My head was starting to hurt when the manager agreed to "open" the pump for me but then I had to come back inside to pay for the balance ($14.11). What irritates me about this is that if I'd had the kids with me, I would have had to unstrap them both from their carseats TWICE to finish filling my car. Totally unacceptable. When I politely pointed out that the $75 limit was no longer very reasonable (it won't be long before smaller cars need $75 or more in gas) the gas station manager said it was the credit card companies that set the limit, not him. So I left in a bit of a huff and called my credit card company (Bank of America). There, a supervisor told me that it's not actually them, but the pump is programmed to stop at $75 (do I hear a buck passing?) So last night my dad called Chevron for me, of course he was referred to a separate Customer Service number which is not open in the evenings... If I have time today, I will call but I feel like it's a waste of my time because they are unlikely to listen to my complaint.

Anyone with me on this being a royal pain? Until it changes, I guess I can only get $75 worth of gas each time. Wonder how long till that's nowhere near a full tank...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Yikes, that's a hell of a lot for gas! Ready to succumb to a minivan yet? ;)

Dandy said...

I guess I am lucky it *only* costs me 65.00 to fill up my Honda!

CDR said...

We don't have this problem in Oregon; the attendant does. :-)

Here's an idea -- you could do the fill up in two transactions. I.E. fill it to $75 and when the machine shuts off, replace the handle, wait for the total and then take your receipt. Then start all over.