Monday, June 9, 2008

Trying to get rid of the BPA...



This whole controversy about Bisphenol-A (BPA) in children's products has gotten to me. I was the first one to jump on the glass bottle bandwagon when I was pregnant with Jack, but then with his reflux and colic, we reverted to Dr. Brown's because he was miserable and he did SO MUCH better on Dr. Brown's and at that point we were tired and worn down. Now that he's one and completely off formula, I'm starting to transition him off of bottles -- we're down to 2-3 a day but he uses sippy cups the rest of the time. So once again, I'm going to try to simplify our exploding collection of one bazillion different kinds of sippy cups down to one or two varieties (either the same for both kids or one kind of Jack and one kind for Brooke) and only a few cups of each. Brooke is learning to drink responsibly from a "big girl cup" (ie, a regular cup) so I don't want to invest too much in sippy cups or straw cups for her, but to be practical, it will be at least a few months if not more before she can kick the sippy cup for good.

Today I bought these two stainless steel cups from Target - Foogo by Thermos. They are quite cool, I have to admit. They were expensive (almost $15 each) so we only have one per child right now before we decide if we love them or not... but they are insulated and claim to keep beverages cold for 6 hours (the small one) and 12 hours (the big one). They even claim to have proven in a lab that the insulation in this cup reduces or eliminates bacteria growth in that time period. Jack took to his right away - didn't seem to notice the difference from his old Playtex handle cup, and Brooke thinks hers is the best thing EVER. She was hilarious in Target... they only had the straw cup (12 oz capacity) in blue/yellow, but they had the handle cup (7 oz) in pink or blue. I tried to convince her that 7 oz. was going to be too little for her, but she kept saying "but I'm a girl (gerrr-uhl) so I need PINK." So I reluctantly agreed, and then ten minutes later while we were browsing another aisle she suddenly announced "I need that big blue cup. I'm a big girl." Yay! My convincing worked, albeit on a slight delay. I promised her that if she loves it, I'll order her a pink one too.

The only downside, aside from cost, is that they are "dishwasher safe but handwashing recommended." So for now I figure I'll hand wash them a couple times a day if they have milk in them, once a day if they have water, and see how that goes.

1 comment:

tiburon said...

I swear - everything is dangerous. I just had to throw out 4 of my gym water bottles cause they were the wrong number. Good on ya for the change - even if they need handwashing :)