Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Farmers Market

I am ashamed to admit that after five years living here, we have never checked out the local Farmers Market before today. I have meant to, even tried to, many times, but for one reason or another, we never got there. Now I know what we've been missing - a lot! The market was quite good sized, held in the parking lot of a huge church downtown, and there was so much wonderful produce, flowers, and various other specialty items. The kids and I had a great time. I picked up $20 from the ATM on my way there, since I am usually an all-credit gal (miles!) but I knew that cash would be king at the Farmers Market. Needless to say, I came home with zero. We got a bag of salad greens, a huge cucumber, a pint of mixed cherry tomatoes, a pair of beets, and four enormous peaches - all organic. Oh - and a gorgeous bouquet of flowers!

The moment I got home (dinnertime) I snapped into gear, making tacos, and chopped up our own two little tomatoes - my first and maybe only harvest from our own garden this year, and made a salad with the FM greens, tomatoes, and cucumber. The greens were too firm and bitter for my taste, but the tomatoes and cucumber were fantastic.


If you haven't checked out your local Farmers Market yet, get thee down there ASAP, the season is almost over (ours goes for three more weeks before winter hiatus.)

1 comment:

tiburon said...

Looks like you scored! Now I want some fresh produce....