Tuesday, May 13, 2008

New front door


Yesterday, our new front door was installed!

I adore how it looks from the outside. Major improvement. Here is how it used to look:


However, the inside is so dark, I am not sure how I feel about it. Part of it is the dark stain I chose (if I had it to do over again, I'd pick a lighter stain). But the other part is that the window is much smaller so there is less light coming in to the entry hall. The overall effect is a very dark almost monolithic blackish door on the inside. I think if I had chosen satin nickel hardware it might have looked better - the dark bronze just blends right in. So if I can Craigslist my existing bronze handleset, I might get a new one in satin nickel to break up the brown. Here is how the inside looks (and it's so dark, it was very hard to even get a picture that came out!) Bear in mind that the trim is not in place yet.


I also shopped for new pots for the front porch today - brought a pair home that I was sure would look great but I'm not in love with them. So they'll be going back.

I planted a big tray of seeds to germinate indoors and then transplant into my raised bed. I'm growing rosemary, sweet basil, cucumbers, corn, and pumpkins. And I also got a big bag of lilies to plant. Did I mention it's 50 degrees and raining? I hope the forecast is right, it's supposed to be 90 by the end of the week. I'm ready for some sun!

2 comments:

Hope Floats said...

Very nice!

I agree about the nickel. I bet that will make a big difference!

tiburon said...

Ooooo I really like it! Nice choice. I wish I could get a new door!